Friday, February 20, 2009

February 20,2009

Hi all,

Thanks for your participation today. The discussion was good and your insights valuable. Deciding what to put in your personal middle childhood education philosophy is not an easy thing. There are so many aspects that are important. Having to narrow it down to 3-5 aspects to develop is not simple.

Also, your philosophy should be no more than 2 pages and better if it's less. Principals are busy people and they won't spend a long time reading anything.

If you are an upperclassman and you have already created a teaching philosophy, you do not need to reinvent the wheel. What you do need to do is modify it so it deals with middle childhood education and not just education in general as your previous philosophies probably did.

You should be thinking about what you want to include but don't start writing it yet. At least wait until you view and analyze the videos in our March 6 class.

I know we often don't have time to complete discussion in class. That's why I've offered this blogging opportunity, and I hope you'll take advantage of the opportunity to dialogue.

See you next week.
Diann

4 comments:

  1. I was just wondering if there was a rubric for the field placement analysis or not. If not, what should we include in it? Just the aspects from the book that we are or are not seeing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in the syllabus or assignment list (one of the things we were supposed to print off in the beginning) it describes each assignment. Not sure if that will help or not Katie. Hope it does! One major idea in my article was that there is a lack of teachers that want to teach middle school and many middle school teachers aren't trained specifically to deal with adolescents. My group and I chose our discussion question to be "What are some possible ways to make middle school more attractive to prospective teachers"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good question! I am not sure if I can think of a really good answer at this point. After a few more times in Byrnedale middle school I think I will be able to come up with a decent response!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there is a rubric for your field placement analysis. It is on blackboard with everything else.

    ReplyDelete